Current locationYou are here: help staying at home > introduction
Help staying at home
Are you an older person who is living at home who might need a little extra help from time to time? Are you caring for an older relative or friend who wants to stay at home rather than go into an aged care facility?
Growing older in Australia comes with many choices. Choices about where you live, whether in Broome or on Bribie Island, and how you live, whether you are golfing or grandparenting. Many things affect your choices, but often your health plays a major role in your lifestyle as you get older.
For many people, living in the comfort of their own home is an important part of growing older, but for some older people this may become difficult without extra help. This is where ‘home help’ or community care services comes into the picture – providing help with everything from housework, meals and personal care, to assistance getting out and about for social activities.
This part of the website helps you or your carer to understand the various types of community care services available and how to arrange them.
- How to access help to stay at home
- Eligibility and standards
- What help is available?
- Community care service finder
- Aged Care Assessment Team finder
- Health and wellbeing
- Financial and legal
- No longer able to stay at home?
- Useful contacts
- Common questions
Read more: About How to access help
Read more: About eligibility & standards
Read more: About what help is available
Read more: Community care service finder
Next step: Aged Care Assessment Team finder
Read more: About Health and wellbeing
Read more: About Financial and legal help
Read more: About if you are no longer able to stay at home
Read more: About Useful contacts
Read more: About Common questions
Common questions on this topic:
- I don't know whether my father can get help to stay at home or if he would be better cared for if he moved to an aged care home. How is the decision made?
- My regular medicines are in a Webster pack, but those I use only occasionally are still in the original packaging. I'm having trouble opening the bottle or the foil packet. Can anyone help me with this?
See all common questions